Thursday, August 6, 2015

A - Z TRAVEL BLOGGING CHALLENGE - D

Today is the letter D for my Travel Blogging Challenge. Can you believe there are only 5 countries that start with the letter D?  Democratic Republic of the Congo, Denmark, Dominica, Dominican Republic and Djibouti.  Since I am unlikely to visit the Congo or Djibouti, that leaves Dominica, Dominican Republic and Denmark.  I was going to say Denmark because that was safe.  What is safer than a European country?  Then I read up on Dominica and now I know where I want to visit.

I want to visit Dominica.  It is a the "Nature Isle of the Caribbean".  It is located in the Lesser Antilles region of the Caribbean Sea, south-southeast of Guadeloupe and northwest of Martinique.  It has the world's second-largest hot spring, Boiling Lake and 365 rivers.  Since I am a bird person I am excited that the Sisserou parrot (also known as the imperial amazon), is found only on Dominica and is the island's national bird.
"Amazona imperialis Mitchell" by David William Mitchell (1813–1859) - The Genera of Birds. Volume 2. Licensed under Public Domain via Wikimedia Commons - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Amazona_imperialis_Mitchell.jpg#/media/File:Amazona_imperialis_Mitchell.jpg
 Dominica has rainforests and rare plants, animals, and bird species.  It sounds fantastic.  I am adding it to my list of places to visit.

Anyone up for the Congo or Djibouti??

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!