Monday, March 23, 2015

UPDATE ON LUCKY BEHAVIOR APPOINTMENT

Today was Lucky's behavior appointment.  Turns out it should be called Adrienne's behavior appointment.  They told me I have been doing many things wrong with Lucky.  So we made a plan.

I needed to get some items.  I needed to get Lucky a new small cage for her to sleep in.  No more bed downstairs.  She is too anxious in the morning and is guarding her area so she needs to be sleeping in a pen with a new cushion.

I bought a new bed for her to use upstairs (the old one was falling apart) that is hers.  It is too small for Happi.  This way each dog has their own bed, no arguing.  Lucky has not gotten out of it from the minute I put it on the floor.

I bought a movable pen for her to be put in when I am home.  She wants to guard me from, well, everything so she can do it from a pen.  The new bed will go in the pen.  This way she will not be charging after anyone or anything. 

I needed to get over my feelings of putting her in her cage for long periods.  She is cage-trained but I was feeling guilty about putting her in her cage for longer than 15-30 minutes when we were home.  We put the dogs in cages when we go out and sometimes they are in their cages for 3-4 hours at a time but that is different.  Both dogs are in cages and we are not home.   The docs explained that she needs to be in confined areas right now to feel secure. 

Now that we have a plan, I think the situation will get better.  Nothing in life is free is the mantra in our house.  Treats when things are done right and nothing when it is done incorrectly. 

The cage and pen will be arriving in about 5 days.  Meanwhile I bought some high value treats (treats that a dog will do almost anything for) and boy do they stink!  Roasted Chicken.  Ugh. 

Until tomorrow...

2 comments:

  1. Ah, but ambrosia to Lucky! She is most fortunate that she adopted such a loving and loyal human, one who cares about her enough to make her feel safe, secure, appreciated, and well-fed. :o) Bravo, Adrienne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wren. I try to live up to that description.

      Delete

Would love to hear what you have to say!