Friday, December 5, 2014

TOASTMASTERS

I have two friends who are members of Toastmasters.  They have asked me to accompany them to a future meeting.  I am thinking about it. 

Years ago I had an employee who was very shy and unable to lead a meeting.  I suggested he go to Toastmasters.  After a few months of attending meetings, I could see a significant change in his behavior.  He was more confident and outgoing.  He said it was because of the Toastmaster meetings helped him speak in front of groups.

I don't really have a problem speaking in front of groups if I am prepared.  I have a harder time when someone throws a microphone in front of my face and I am not prepared.  I had this happen a number of years ago when I was an activist.  A news crew put a camera in my face and asked me a question on live TV while I had a headset on with the Chief of Police on the other end.  I obviously could not talk to both the TV crew and the Chief of Police.  I sort of stared into the camera.  It was a defining moment.  How embarrassing!  Thank goodness my partner was next to me and jumped in and spoke to the media.  She got her moment in the limelight and made the evening news.

Maybe some time at Toastmasters would help me overcome my humiliation.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!