Tuesday, August 12, 2014

CARBS ARE EVERYWHERE

I have been on this pre-diabetic diet for a few weeks now and. Have learned a few things. The main thing I learned is about carbohydrates. I used to think that there were only carbohydrates in things like bread, crackers, rice, potatoes, etc. but then I learned that almost every type of food has at least some  amount of carb. Even celery has 5 grams of carbs. There are only a few foods that have so few carbs (and calories) that they are considered "free" foods. Ketchup and mustard are on the list.

Imagine, all those times we went on those carb free or carb reduced diets and we were eating all these carbs in all the other foods we were eating and didn't know it. At least I didn't know it. Maybe you knew it. Maybe I missed that day in nutrition class. Maybe this is common knowledge and I am the only one who doesn't know.  I prefer to think that the whole world doesn't know about this fascinating bit of carb knowledge and I am educating you all. 

If you are interested in seeing what foods have carbohydrates and how many, click here to see a list.

Today I rode the stationary bike for one hour for 10.5 miles on a combined level 3 and 4.

Until tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. It IS an education when you go on a prediabetic diet. Been there, still doing that (most of the time. I'm weak.). But the veggies with carbs, at least most of them, are mostly OK because of the fiber in them, which slows down the digestive process and causes a much slower release of glucose into the blood stream. That means the body can deal with it better, and without it causing a massive glycemic spike.

    Mustard is good, yep. Wish I liked it more. Ketchup, not so much. The sources I've read say to use it very sparingly because there's a lot of added sugar (bad carb!) in it. Maybe the organic types are better? I'm not sure, since I've not tried them. Yet. ;o)

    WAY TO GO on the bike! I'm commenting late, here, and read you upped it to over 11 miles yesterday. That's SO great, Adrienne. Mom and I are moving in a few weeks. The condo she's leasing is in a complex with a brand new fitness room just for tenants, with treadmills, bikes, the works. And a hot-tub and sauna. I'll no longer have any good excuse NOT to exercise. ;o) Looking forward to it. Oh, and a pool, too, but it's gonna be a while before I'll be able to work up the courage to appear in public in a swimsuit. Ergh. A new challenge.

    Best wishes to you and B, as usual. Bravo on the 'puter changes, too. I recently got a new laptop--finally had to give up my elderly one with XP on it, too. I loved XP. I miss it badly. But I'm learning to live with Windows 8.1 (the latest version). Change is hard--and harder the older you get.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you have to say!